Ready to learn how to repair a kitchen faucet? Irrespective of the cost and technological features of your kitchen faucet, leaking is a problem that occurs with all models eventually. Although, a higher quality faucet is less likely to leak as compared to a cheaper one, it isn’t absolute that even the best models are invulnerable.
If you happen to be experiencing a leaking faucet in your kitchen and want to find ways to repair it, this article is best suited for you. There are comprehensive steps that you need to take in an ordered manner so as to tackle a leaky faucet.
If you require emergency service please contact our 24 hour emergency plumbers in Calgary.
Determine the source of the leak
Determining the source and cause of the leak is the first and foremost thing that you need to do before starting any kind of repair work on your kitchen faucet. This is owing to the fact that different types of leaks require different approaches, and a faucet that is leaking from the spout to the end will be repaired in a manner that is quite different from the technique employed to repair a faucet that is only leaking around its base.
Determine the type of faucet you have
The next most important thing that you need to determine from your end is the type of faucet you have installed in your kitchen. This is because different types of faucets have different mechanisms and therefore, different approaches need to be employed in order to repair each. Some work in a particular way and has also been made out of different components as opposed to another. Therefore, determining the faucet you have in your kitchen is very important. The best way to determine the type of faucet you have installed in your kitchen is by removing the handle and looking carefully at it. The different types of faucets that you might have installed in your kitchen include:
- Ceramic Disk Faucets- Once you remove the handle, you should be able to see a ceramic cylinder in this type of faucet.
- Compression Faucets- This is the most easy to determine faucet, as this type of faucet has two handles equipped in it.
- Ball Faucets- Once you remove the handle, you should be able to see a ball bearing in this type of faucet.
- Cartridge Faucets- Once you remove the handle, you should be able to see a cartridge in this type of faucet.
In this article, the focus would remain on how to repair a compression faucet, although the methods employed to repair the other types of faucets is different.
How to Repair a kitchen faucet
Repairing a leaky compression faucet is fairly easy and the individual parts used in these types of faucets usually come cheap in the market, making this repair process fairly less costly. The methods involved with repairing a compression faucet includes:
- The first thing that you need to do is remove the handles. Use a screwdriver or straight line to accomplish the task.
- The next step involves removing the nut using a wrench. Once you remove the nut, you should be able to see the O-ring.
- The next task that you need to do is closely scrutinize the washer and the O-ring. In order to differentiate the two, remember that the O-ring is thinner as compared to the washer, and the latter is made using rubber. Depending upon where your faucet is leaking, you need to change either the O-ring or the washer. If the body is leaking, the washer is the problem and if the area around the handles is leaking, the O-ring is the culprit.
- Once you are done with the replacement of either the O-ring or the washer, the final task involves rearranging the handle. If you are experiencing leakage in the other handle as well, repeat the entire process for that handle as well.
Call for help to repair a kitchen faucet
Given the many different types of faucets that might be installed in your kitchen, you might require professional help if your model demands a more complex approach than a compression faucet. The first and primary choice that you should have when it comes to such plumbing needs is Urban Piping Ltd. A completely licensed, insured and bonded service provider of expert plumbing services, Urban Piping is a company that enjoys an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. The company also enjoys great popularity in the market, with hundreds of 5-star ratings that they have acquired for their stellar services. If you are looking for the best professionals to help fix your leaky kitchen faucet, Urban Piping Ltd. are the service providers to choose.