We often get our priorities wrong when it comes to the water system at our homes. For instance, the outdoor water system usually features at the end of our maintenance list when it’s actually the lifeline of the entire water system. Hence, noticing leaks in the outdoor faucet is a remote possibility, which often leads to serious damages. So knowing how to fix a leaky outdoor faucet can save you bundles of cash. Outdoor faucet leaks can lead to serious damages to your house as water enters into the structure leading to mold growth and allied issues. In order to protect your house from permanent and serious damages, you will need to check the outdoor faucet for leaks and damages at regular intervals.
Detecting a Water Leak in an Outdoor Faucet
Detecting a leaky outdoor faucet during the early stage is easier when you follow these steps:
- Check the entire water system, especially the outdoor faucet for leaks after shutting it off. Turn on the faucet and block the water flow with your hands. Slowing down of the water flow is a clear sign of leakage and you need to locate the exact place where the water is leaking.
- Take a walk around your house or property to find out wet areas, as there can be leakages in the underground water system.
- Shut off the main water system and check if the water meter’s indicator is still moving or not. If there’s a movement then certainly there’s a leakage. Locating the water meter is easy as they are placed near your property’s boundary.
After having detected a leakage, it’s time to get it fixed to prevent further damages. You can choose to get it either checked by a professional plumbing service provider or do-it-yourself. Dripping water from outdoor water faucets can be fixed by replacing washers; however, other complex issues need to be fixed after thorough inspection. Outdoor water faucet damage occurs more during the winters so a proper maintenance check during the springtime is crucial.
Fixing the Leaky Hose Bib
It’s easier when you’re dealing with kitchen faucet leakages but when it comes to outdoor faucets, you need advanced plumbing skills to fix the issues. Hose bib or the section that comes out from your building is prone to damages; hence majority of the leakages can be detected at this point. In case you find water dripping from the hose bib then you can fix the same by following these easy steps:
- Shut off the primary water supply by turning off the water valve
- The nut holding the faucet needs to be unscrewed to reveal the stem
- Using pliers, pull out the stem
- Unscrew the screw holding the washer
- Replace this washer with another one of the same thickness and diameter
- Tighten the screw holding the washer
- Put the stem in its old position
- Tighten the screw or nut at the faucet’s base
- Turn on the water valve and check if the leakage is fixed or not
Using Frost-proof Outdoor Faucets
Professional plumbers often advise their customers to install frost-proof outdoor faucets to save the water system from damages during the winters. Even though there are quite effective but they too need timely maintenance and repair. If there’s a leakage even after you’ve turned off the valve, there’s a certain leakage. Internal washers of the frost-proof outdoor faucets suffer from wear and tear after long usage and they need to be replaced as well. Replacing the inner washer is easy but you should be confident about reassembling the entire system back. Since these minor tasks can be performed by anyone with the help of just a few tools, so you might not feel the need to call in a plumber.
If you fail to fix a leaky outdoor faucet then it’s imperative to call up your nearest plumbing service provider for professional help. You can always get in touch with Urban Piping to have them fix a leaky faucet in your home.
Quality service is guaranteed as Urban Piping is licensed, bonded, insured, and even hold A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. Hundreds of FIVE star reviews online bears testimony to its impeccable track record in offering the best plumbing service. If you think you’re not too good with DIY tricks then you can leave the job to a professional plumber. Plumbers working for Urban Piping hold the necessary expertise and experience in dealing with leaky outdoor faucet. Thus, you can fix all types of leakages in your house’s water system by giving a call to Urban Piping.